Multivariate Ecosystem Services Index
We solicit your help to quantify ecosystem services in the surface layer (from 0 to 150 m depth) of the pelagic realm (bottom depth > 50 m) of the Mediterranean.
The goal is to get a first, synthetic view of ecosystem services levels across the whole basin. For this, we ask for your estimate of the contribution of various functional groups to relevant ecosystem services. You can learn more about the scientific context of the study, in the frame of the MERMEX and PERSEUS programs.
In the matrix below, fill lines of functional groups or the columns of services you are knowledgeable about. You do not have to fill the whole matrix, but do not limit yourself either (you probably know more than an average person on any group or service). To get examples of what fits in each functional group or category of service, place the mouse over the name.
First, in the "Expertise" column, evaluate your knowledge of the functional group:
- 0% means you are as knowledgeable as a member of the general public;
- 100% means colleagues in your field come to you for advice on this group.
Then, in all other columns, estimate how much each group could directly contribute to each ecosystem service:
- 0% means the functional group does not contribute at all;
- 100% means that, when abundant enough, this functional group alone could provide the service completely. This can be true for several services; lines or columns do not necessarily sum to 100.
- Deleterious effects can be expressed as negative percentages.
IMPORTANT: Only direct effects should be considered. Indirects effects, through the food web, will be taken in account in another way. For example, even though phytoplankton is necessary for everything else to live, it is not directly edible, so its direct contribution to "Food" should be low or zero.